In 1926 Italian immigrants Pio Bozzi and John Ganzi opened the first Palm restaurant in New York City. Located only a few blocks from the renowned comic publisher King Features, the popular restaurant attracted many famous cartoonists.
During the depression, artists drew directly on the walls In exchange for a meal or a drink. Fabulous food and exciting atmosphere combined with a chance at being immortalized on the hallowed walls helped grow this tiny New York restaurant into one of Americas most prestigious brands.
An integral component to the Palm brand is the development and installation of artwork which for over 20 years has been entrusted to Bird Studio.
In addition to commisioning large custom murals and illustrations for each new restaurant, the Palm entrusts Bird Studio to create Palm caricatures of their best clientele for the walls.
Bird Studio conducted a four month plaster and art conservation project at the original store in 1995.