Very proud to announce that Birdstudio has produced and installed all the primary artistic embellishment at Suraya. Owned by powerhouse team Greg Root, Nick Kennedy, and Nathalie Richan and Rolland Kassis. Suraya is located in Fishtown at 1528 Frankford Ave. Philadelphia.
Design by Richard Stokes Architecture
36" x 48" abstract oil and tempura on board with custom oak float frame.
Gold leaf application on tray ceiling with light fixtures
Metal leaf (12k gold) arch ceiling recess behind bar area.
Cut aluminum "Suraya" signage on 2.5" pin mounts.
Exterior faux to mach existing white-wash barn wood
In 1926 Italian immigrants Pio Bozzi and John Ganzi opened the first Palm restaurant in New York City. Located only a few blocks from the renowned comic publisher King Features, the popular restaurant attracted many famous cartoonists.
During the depression, artists drew directly on the walls In exchange for a meal or a drink. Fabulous food and exciting atmosphere combined with a chance at being immortalized on the hallowed walls helped grow this tiny New York restaurant into one of Americas most prestigious brands.
An integral component to the Palm brand is the development and installation of artwork which for over 20 years has been entrusted to Bird Studio.
In addition to commisioning large custom murals and illustrations for each new restaurant, the Palm entrusts Bird Studio to create Palm caricatures of their best clientele for the walls.
Bird Studio conducted a four month plaster and art conservation project at the original store in 1995.
Granum AI was given the task of modernizing Brandywine Realty's newest acquisition, the Atrium Building at 1900 Market street.
The interior desig called for nine cantilevered meeting boxes to be positioned at intervals along the upper atrium walls overlooking an elegantly appointed common space below. The original specks called for blackened steel cladding on the boxes but as construction progressed, a decision was made to source a less expensive material to complete this phase.
Client specifications mandated the finish must be an absolute color match in all light conditions as well as moisture resistant, and resistant to regular UV exposure and temperature shifts.
Birdstudio produced and installed a custom, high solids, semi-metallic finish that perfectly matched the blacked steel below. The finished results were nearly as impressive as the savings in material costs.
Acadamy of Music
At the top of a long list of Philadelphia’s historic gems is the American Acadamy of Music. Completed in 1857, it is our Nations first and oldest opera house. Birdstudio has performed here many times.
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962.
Climate controlled in 1993
Onsite projects include:
Paint analysis, Faux and decorative paint treatments, Staircase and ornamental plaster restoration.
Beasley Law Firm
Since 2008, Bird Studio has provided the firm with a range of services including extensive decorative embellishment to the 3rd floor courtroom and reception area.
A 78 square foot mural of a jury box complete with 12 notable jurors and extensive modification and restoration to the 5 story exterior mural were performed by Birdstudio in 2010.
Jim Beasely has also entrusted Bird as his personal artist and commissioned family portraits and embellishment to his prized collection of vintage aircraft.
Philadelphia Racquet Club
Established in 1889 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, the Philadelphia Racquet Club is located in the heart of Center City Philadelphia at 215 South 16th Street. The clubhouse is one of the first reinforced concrete structures designed in Philadelphia and includes the world’s first above grade swimming pool, designed by Roebling Construction Company.
Bird Studio was commissioned to restore the pool bottom and hand paint the 13-foot diameter club logo on the pool floor.
Camden Food Co, JFK Airport
Bird Studio was commissioned by Camden Foods for the installation of their first U.S. retail store at Terminal 4, John F. Kennedy International Airport. This project included application of custom signage and hand painted graphic elements on sandblasted hardwood. Camden food company is a UK based organic health food purveyor.
Morgan Lewis was founded in Philadelphia on March 10, 1873 and currently has 29 offices in 10 countries. The building at 1701 Market street is the company's corporate headquarters. Bird Studio provides a variety of specialized artistic services for the company's operations and facilities management team.
One project involved the restoration and framing of a 90" x 120" work by abstractionist Gary Lang. Birdstudio designed and installed custom hangers to support the artwork without disturbing the hardwood wall panels.
The buildings lobby restoration involved removing outdated logo signage from a 40' book matched, marble wall. This jeweler quality restoration involved precision epoxy color matching and the filling of over 88 holes before polishing the surface and installing the firms new signage.
Chops Steak House
in 2001 Alex Plotkin commissioned Bird Studio to design and install esthetic treatments for Chops, the first of his high end steakhouses. Bird Studio installed a 55 foot cubist mural that graces the east wall and abstract sculptures for the private dining areas. These installations set the tone for a restaurant what would become a prime destination for many years.
El Poquito means “the little one” in Spanish, named after a fabled Mexican cafe racer that rode up and down the coast of Mexico and California. Bird Studio was commissioned in spring 2015 to install hand painted reverse lettering for the front windows, Charred wood signage for outdoor parking area, hand drawn chalkboard menus of weekly specials in the bar and a ghosted mural featuring a pre revolutionary Mexican flag for the main dining room.
Gloucester County Justice Complex
On November 11, 2010, the Gloucester County Board of Freeholders commissioned Bird Studio to design and produce The Wall of Heroes Memorial as part of their Justice Complex expansion project.
Hand rendered portraits of over 350 soldiers were produced and laminated in UV Glass. Each nickel frame features an engraved bronze plaque bearing the soldiers name, rank and branch of service. The memorial honors Gloucester County area service men and women, either killed or missing in action. The wall represents all branches of the military and is arranged by era and theater of battle.